Are there any student tax credits for higher education?

Yes, there are two tax credits for people who pay higher education expenses:

  • American Opportunity Tax Credit
  • Lifetime Learning Credit
You can choose only one of two credits per student per year. For example, if a student is entitled to the American Opportunity Tax Credit and also entitled to Lifetime Learning Credit during the same year, he/she can only claim one, but not both.
If a student is not claimed as a dependent on the tax return of another person, only the student can claim the credit.
All inquiries, estimates, tax return reviews from previous years, and ITIN applications for you and your family are free. Click here to make an appointment with Zigma Tax Service Today or call 757-454-6120.

Category: Students, Tax Credits