If a baby was born in December of this year, can a taxpayer declare the child as a dependent?

According to guidelines of the Internal Revenue Service, a child can be claimed as a dependent the year he or she was born. In this case, the taxpayer may claim the baby in the tax return for the next year even if he/she was born on December 31. The taxpayer should not wait until the next tax season to claim the dependent.

All inquiries, estimates, tax return reviews from previous years, and ITIN applications for you and your family are free. Click here to make an appointment with Zigma Tax Service Today or call 757-454-6120.


Category: Dependents