Is there a citizenship or permanent residence requirement to qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit?

Yes, the taxpayer must be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien with a valid SSN.  This means that if the taxpayer was a non-resident foreigner during any part of the year, he/she will not be able to claim the Earned Income Credit, unless his/her filing status is married filing jointly with a U.S. citizen or resident alien.

All inquiries, estimates, tax return reviews from previous years, and ITIN applications for you and your family are free. Click here to make an appointment with Zigma Tax Service Today or call 757-454-6120.

Category: Tax Credits