What filing status meets the requirement to qualify for the Earned Income Credit?

There are three filing statuses that meet the requirement:

  1. Single
  2. Married (filing jointly)
  3. Head of household

However, there are married taxpayers who prefer to file a separate tax return instead of filing jointly.  The IRS says that if the taxpayer is married, he/she must file jointly to claim EIC.  Therefore, the filing status cannot be “Married filing separately.”

All inquiries, estimates, tax return reviews from previous years, and ITIN applications for you and your family are free. Click here to make an appointment with Zigma Tax Service Today or call 757-454-6120.

Category: Tax Credits