What type of identification number must the child have in order to be claimed as a dependent?

The child must have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). For children born in the United States, the TIN is generally a Social Security Number (SSN). If the child does not have an SSN and is eligible to receive one, apply for one as soon as possible by filing Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration. If the child is not eligible for a SSN, you may request an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) from the IRS by completing form W-7.

All inquiries, estimates, tax return reviews from previous years, and ITIN applications for you and your family are free. Click here to make an appointment with Zigma Tax Service Today or call 757-454-6120.

Category: Dependents